Devon of NittanyWhiteOut provides the questions for the Blue-White Game edition of the Blue White Roundtable. (Devon's recap can be found here.)
Other participants include Linebacker-U, 2 The Lion Football, and William World News.
Big Ten expansion talk is heating back up, with word coming out of an “accelerated timetable.” We’ll split this question three ways...
- What should the Big Ten do?
If we can't immediately add Texas and/or Notre Dame, put pressure on them by expanding to 13 teams with Nebraska and Syracuse.
Right about now you're wondering if we've lost our Blue & White marbles, but Illinois blogger Frank the Tank, who's been the leader in expansion analysis, makes a compelling case for such a move.
- What do you want the Big Ten to do?
Add Notre Dame or Texas and stick with 12 teams. We're pretty selfish on this front, as a move to 14 or 16 teams that includes multiple Eastern teams (Pitt, Rutgers, and Syracuse seem to be the most likely candidates), there will be fewer Penn State road games here in the Midwest.
That being said, we understand the value to the conference of expanding both east and west.
- What will the Big Ten do?
It will add Notre Dame and/or Texas at such time (if any) that either of them is willing to join. That much is obvious.
At this point we believe the Big Ten will stick with its original 12-18 month schedule for studying the issue.
- Back to Penn State: Though Joe Paterno has continued to insist that there is a quarterback competition this spring, in your eyes is there any chance that it isn’t Kevin Newsome under center against Youngstown State next August?
We're less than encouraged by the shaky reports about young Mr. Newsome. He showed us nothing last fall and Matt McGloin is reportedly the more respected QB among his teammates.
So, no, we're not using a pen to write Newsome's name on the depth chart. But we do guarantee that at some point JoePa will say, "We probably should have given Newsome more game reps last season."
- What do you make of Penn State’s current recruiting situation, with no "commitments" as of this Monday before the Blue-White Game while a team like Ohio State already has nine?
Just nine? Texas has 19! That doesn't help us though, does it?
Truth be told, we're a wee bit nervous about being stuck on zero. It would be good to get the train rolling with some verbals out of Blue-White Weekend.
- Aside from the QB situation, what is one aspect of the team you’re going to be looking at closely during the scrimmage this Saturday?
The big fellas protecting said quarterbacks. This unit has until the end of September to gel, because the REAL season starts with a trip to Iowa City on October 2nd.
- Who will be starting at linebacker come the Youngstown State game?
We'll go with Bani Gbadyu, Chris Colasanti, and Nate Stupar, though we have a feeling Gerald Hodges might beat out Gbadyu.
- Which game will be selected as this year’s night game/White Out, or will there be none?
We broke that story this afternoon.
- What round will the Penn State players be selected in this year’s draft?
We're still focused on which round someone will draft Anthony Morelli!
- Will you be watching the Blue-White Game in person or on television?
We'll be watching on ESPN8 (The "Ocho").